Monday, January 26, 2009

Homestudy....

So, we are in the middle of a homestudy that we did not think we were going to have to do. Long story, but we are in the middle of it.

Part of the homestudy is for our primary care physicians to "sign off" on our health indicating that we are in fact healthy people - mentally and physically. GatorMan and I have different primary care docs, even though they are in the same practice. GatorMan's doc is pretty laid back and easygoing. Her answers to the questionnaire were basically "yes" and "no." My doc, on the other hand, is super detailed. She called last week and indicated that my file did not reflect that I had had a TB test in the last year, nor could she tell if I had a tetanus/pertussis (sp?) shot in the last ten years. She wanted me to do this before she filled out the questionnaire. And no, the questionnaire does NOT indicate that I need these shots/tests.

Today was the appointment for the shot/test. I go in, and the nurse explains that she is going to give me the shot first. After the shot, she gives me the TB test - which stung by the way. I'd rather jab myself in the stomach with another foll.istim pen than do this test again. After the nurse finished, she went to talk to the doc about a question I had asked. Doc was right outside of the exam room door, and I heard the entire conversation. Apparently Doc had indicated that she wanted the TB test done FIRST.... then the shot. Nurse did it backwards. Doc indicated that nurse had injected me with the toxins that the test would be looking for. Great....... I'm not a doctor - obviously - but this does not make sense to me. Nurse comes back in, and does not mention her conversation with Doc at all.....

I go back on Wednesday to have the TB test location looked at. Instead of just running in - like GatorMan was allowed to do with HIS doctor - my Doc has scheduled an appointment to look at my arm, and go over my questionnaire. I'm going to be really curious as to what my arm is going to look like and what she is going to say. I may have to let her know that I overheard the entire conversation....

Oh. We also got fingerprinted today. Totally cool contraption... no ink involved.

* As a side note, I have been very restrained and careful to not go off on a complete rant about how crackheads, heroin injectors, child molesters, child abusers, welfare mamas, and "others" do NOT have to go through this process. They miraculously get kids. For free.

** Okay, I guess my side note is now moot. Couldn't resist.

*** After re-reading my post pre-publish, I realize my side notes make it sound like I'm not grateful for Ukulele. I am ABSOLUTELY grateful for her. But I still do not understand WHY some things happen the way they do. Not sure any of us get it.

UPDATE:
After reading a couple of comments, I realized that I was not very clear about who has ordered the homestudy. The homestudy has been ordered by the court. Because this was a closed and private adoption, we did not do a homestudy through an agency prior to placement.

Also, thanks to Murgdan for clearing up the whole shot/test confusion on my part.... and explaining to me what should have been explained by my own nurse! You rock - Murgdan - thanks again!

5 comments:

Mo said...

wow what a backasswards world that you have to do a homestudy now. weird. weird. weird. sorry your doc is being so detail oriented. sounds like you're keeping your perspective about the whole thing. it must help to have ukelele right there in your arms : )

mo

Baby Smiling In Back Seat said...

So weird to do the homestudy now. What would they do if they weren't happy with the results?

Good thing you overheard that conversation... if there's a problem with the results, you'll know where to point the finger!

Hope you get this out of the way quickly and easily.

'Murgdan' said...

Hmmm. Sorry you're having to go through more stuff, hopefully it will all be completed soon...and...it doesn't MATTER which order those injections go in, so I that conversation must have just been about some power struggle or an excuse for the doctor to hear herself talk.

:-)

Elle said...

Wow, normally thorough doctors are great, but this one just seems a bit excessive.

I'm annoyed on your behalf that you have to go through this when you should just be spending time with your daughter. Grrrr.

E said...

What a PITA that you have to do the homestudy after the fact! Your doc sounds a bit overboard, but I guess it' not a bad thing. Just annoying. We're going through something similar...we're doing a homestudy update and have to do the physicals, fingerprints, background checks AGAIN 1 year later. I totally believe that ALL prospective parents-to-be, or better yet, of reproductive age, should have to do homestudies and have a license to parent...don't get me started on that topic!